The skin is the largest organ of the body and protects the rest of the body from harmful elements. Yet while it protects, it can also absorb certain things – including topical medicines, hydrating creams and lotions, and sun radiation.
Remember when your mom or dad would make you slather on SPF sunblock when you’d go to the beach or the lake? That’s actually when anti-aging skin-protection practices begin. As we get older, we must add more ways to help our skin stay hydrated and fresh, and prevent skin aging as much as possible.
Even though our skin changes naturally as we age, we tend to allow additional aggravating factors that cause weathering effects on the skin. These include cumulative sun exposure, unhealthy lifestyle choices, unhealthy diet, and cold or dry weather.
It’s never too late to start skin aging prevention techniques to help keep you looking young and vibrant. Let’s take a look at some of those techniques and how they can help your skin look smooth and gorgeous.
When Should I Start Using Anti-Aging Products?
Skincare experts all agree that the skin starts to age in the late teens as we reach adulthood. At this age, our skin already starts to become a bit drier, and small wrinkles begin to form. This is why it is recommended to start using foundation makeup by age 18 to protect the facial skin from the sun, and to start incorporating moisturizing lotions as necessary – especially after showering.
As we get older, our skin tends to bruise a bit more easily and can start to look more transparent, which is primarily caused by the natural thinning of the epidermis (the surface layer of the skin). The first step toward reducing signs of fine lines and preventing premature skin aging is by applying a moisturizing sunscreen every day. Protecting the skin from the harmful rays of the sun and the drying winds is something that should be ideally done throughout our lifetime to keep the skin supple and strong.
What Skin Aging Treatments Are Best for Me?
With the wealth of available products these days that can target various signs of skin aging, you may be tempted to try them all. A professional aesthetician can give you good advice about which products would be most beneficial for your skin and which ones you should actually avoid, since everyone’s skin is different.
- Have a professional facial on a regular basis to gently remove dead skin cells and infuse the skin with botanicals. These treatments encourage new skin beneath to renew itself and help you look fresh and young.
- To combat fine lines, dull skin, and crow’s feet, apply a moisturizer at least once a day, ideally every morning and evening.
- To combat sun damage, apply an SPF every morning and afternoon. This should be done to all areas of skin that are exposed to the sun, including the face, neck, chest, and arms.
- Use oil-free lotions if your skin tends to be oily or you are prone to acne; otherwise, use lotions with oil, because the oil will help keep your skin hydrated and smooth.
- Use thicker lotion for thicker skin, such as the heels and elbows. This type of lotion treatment will penetrate more thoroughly and will stay on for longer periods of time so the skin does not dry out or crack.
- Wrinkle-fighting creams that are rich in vitamin A can promote the production of collagen. Collagen is a protein that provides the skin its elasticity and firmness to make the skin look and feel more youthful and more supple.
Beauty Spa in New York
Glamoi Med Spa is here to treat both men and women and keep your skin looking flawless at any age. We are located in Manhattan and Queens, New York, offering high-quality treatments designed to make you look and feel your best.
Our team of expert aestheticians will recommend and provide you with the best treatment plan for your skin’s needs. What are you waiting for? Call us at (212) 433-4526 or fill out our online form and schedule an appointment today!