Blemishes & Acne Spot Treatments in NYC
No one is spared the irritation and embarrassment of skin blemishes. Inflammation, pimples, and marks on the skin affect men and women alike, as well as all age groups, ethnicities, and skin types.
What Is Acne?
The pores on your face are actually hair follicles. They include a sebaceous gland that produces oil, called sebum, which helps to keep your hair and skin moisturized and healthy. But when sebum and dead skin cells build up, they can clog your pores. And if bacteria are present, it can lead to infection and inflamed bumps called pimples. The chronic eruption of pimples is called acne.
Signs of acne may include:
- Blackheads – clogged pores on the surface of the skin
- Whiteheads – clogged pores under the surface of the skin
- Pimples – inflamed and tender spots on the skin such as:
- Papules – Small, hard pimples that make the skin feel like sandpaper
- Pustules – Small, hard pimples that include pus
- Nodules – larger pimples that have gone deeper into the skin
- Cysts – large, deep pimples with pus
What Causes Acne?
Anything that leads to the overproduction of sebum (hormones, stress, etc.) can contribute to acne and facial blemishes. Use of oil-based products on the skin can also contribute to the problem. Lack of adequate exfoliation can leave more dead skin cells on the skin and increase the risk of clogged pores and pimples.
What You Can Do
Even after your acne or blemishes clear up, you may be left with marks on your skin. These usually go away within a few days or weeks, but sometimes may take longer or may remain permanently. In these cases, your aesthetic consultant at Glamoi Med Spa can advise you on the best type of facial procedure that can help remove the marks.
Certain skin-care products may also help, especially those with retinol, which can speed cellular turnover, replacing damaged skin cells with healthy new skin cells.
If you have particularly oily skin or are otherwise subject to repeat bouts of acne and other skin blemishes, you may wish to undergo regular aesthetic procedures that help keep acne and facial blemishes in check. They include HydraFacial, laser facials, and micro needling. Ask your Glamoi consultant about which may be right for you.
It may be impossible to entirely prevent skin blemishes and acne. However, there are self-care actions you can take that will lessen the likelihood of outbreaks or reduce their severity and the risk of permanent skin discoloration or scarring. The preventive methods include:
- Adopt a skin-care routine appropriate for your skin condition
- When you have outbreaks, don’t squeeze or pop pimples – it may just cause them to go deeper into your skin
- Steam your skin periodically, such as during a long, hot shower – it can soften blockages and help keep pores clear
- Stay hydrated (alcohol doesn’t count!)
- Get adequate sleep and exercise
Contact Us Today for Blemishes & Acne Spot Treatments
If you’re dealing with skin blemishes of any sort – including pimples, acne, blackheads, or more – consult the skincare pros at Glamoi Med Spa in New York City. They can advise you about the best way to clear your skin, remove any tell-tale marks or skin discoloration, and help you prevent future breakouts. Call (212) 433-4526 or request your free consultation now.